Starting with a checklist

Since undertaking an assessment can be expensive, it is best to go through a checklist first to see if the indicators apply to you. If they do, an assessment can be arranged to tie down problem areas, identify strengths and make personal recommendations.

Assessments for children

These should be organised via the school and will probably consist of a range of measures including classroom observation and testing by the school. If difficulties persist, the Schools Psychological Service can be called in. Some parents prefer not to wait and get a private assessment. This can be carried out by an educational psychologist or specially qualified tutor, usually with the AMBDA accreditation.

Further information from the British Dyslexia Association. Patoss holds a list of qualified tutors who can undertake assessments.

Adult assessments

Adults can be assessed for Dyslexia by a Psychologist or appropriately qualified tutor. Further details in Assessment mini-guide.

Attention (Hyperactivity) Deficit Disorder and Asperger Syndrome are usually diagnosed by psychiatrists or psychologists specialising in these areas. Further details from ADDISS or the National Autistic Society.

Occupational Therapists often play an important part in assessments of Dyspraxia.


Students in Higher Education may be able to obtain funding and support via the Disabled Students Allowance, dependant on a specialist assessment from an Educational Psychologist or a practitioner holding a Practising Certificate. The Patoss website is helpful.

Assessment for workplace support

Occupational Psychologists will often be involved in the assessment process. The route is through Human Resources unless you wish to go privately. A further evaluation of workplace support needs is helpful. Full information on the working environment from Dyslexia Assessment & Consultancy. The Disability Employment Adviser is the first stop for unemployed people.

Old assessments

Since SpLDs are life-long conditions, an assessment carried out whilst in education would be a valid diagnosis, but would not provide sufficient information on areas of difficulty as an adult in the workplace. An update, including a Workplace Needs Assessment is recommended.